- Midweek Prayer will be taking a hiatus for the summer and begin again in August.
- Coffee Hour is this coming Sunday and will focus on the work of AUISP: Athens United Immigrant Support Network. See the June Chi Rho for more details.
- You are invited to a Zoom presentation on forests and climate change, led by Heather Cantino Monday, June 14th at 5:30p.m. (ie Monday a week from now) Link here. Heather will explain how we can support forests' essential climate protection role while opposing false solutions that threaten forests and climate and perpetuate injustice. Specific topics: Proforestation as a solution. False solutions: biomass energy, plantations, 'net zero' carbon offsets, and 'prescribed' burning. About Heather: an Athens resident, Heather Cantino has researched and advocated for forests for twenty years, originally as a board member of Buckeye Forest Council and more recently with ACFAN, Athens County's Future Action Network (formerly Athens County Fracking Action Network).
- Community post: you are invited to join a local book discussion group. As you know, race and racism are critical issues in our country. Many of us in Athens want to learn more and do more. Contact John Schmieding ASAP if interested as he is considering best dates and times as well as constructing groups based on familiarity level with the topic: email@example.com.
- Friendly reminder that the proposed changes to the CLC constitution have been published on our website for your consideration. We will vote at the annual congregational meeting on Sunday, June 27th at 11a.m. Please check this site often as not only are the proposed constitution changes currently posted, other relevant materials for annual meeting will be added to the site when they become available.
Here's what's happening this week:
Office Closed Monday, June 7 & Tuesday June 8th (KB checking email and voicemail Monday)
Council Tuesday, June 8 at 6 pm
LSS Mobile Food Pantry Thursday, June 10 10:15am-Noon The Plains UMC
Theology on Tap Thursday, June 10 at 6pm
Sunday Worship Sunday, June 13 at 10am Behind Church, Bring your own chair*,**
Coffee Hour Sunday, June 13 at 11:30am
*For those unable to join us outside, the service will be simultaneously live streamed and remain available for later viewing.
**If you are in need of a chair, or need assistance transporting a chair from your vehicle, please let the office know. We are happy to help.